Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Disposition and Quality of Life – Part 2

Although not an exact science, it seems to me that it is a person's disposition that determines how well they cope with life, the quality of the decisions they make, as well as the people and circumstances they attract.

As many wise people have concluded in the past: happiness is a state of mind, rather than what you do or have. Ultimately, the things we aspire to attain in life, be it wealth, success or some kind of achievement – is all for the sole purpose of being happy. If I believe that I need such-and-such in order to be happy, but I don’t have those things, then I’m inevitably going to be miserable and discontent. But if I accept myself, the world and other people, just as they are at this moment, I am much more likely to attain that precious happiness that we all seek.

Discontentedness is not a driver for success. Nothing good can come from those emotions that Apostle Paul labels “Works of the Flesh”. Should we just drift through life, content with all that we are and all that we have? I would say “yes” – if that is where peace leads you – why change anything if you are truly happy and content? Shouldn’t we strive for achieve more? People have thought the same thing in the past – and look where Capitalism with its greed and selfishness has got us now. There is a strong, motivating force for good, which God promotes and is the very source of – it is called love. Love does not need to be bitter, frustrated and content for it to function properly.

So it would seem that our level of happiness if affected more by our beliefs, than our environment, possessions and the people in our lives. A person’s disposition seems to affect how well they “flow” with life – I believe that this comes down to a person’s beliefs and how well they are able to accept their life and the people around them. If I believe that you should be different than you are at this moment – it does not help you to change for the better, but it could make it difficult for me to relate to you. If I accept my life situation as it is now, it does not mean that nothing will ever change, but it does mean that I will be happier and more cooperative with my circumstances. Wishing things were different to the point of frustration and bitterness, will not contribute a great deal towards a solution.

So instead of people focusing on taking action through principles and formulas as a means of changing their lives for the better - it would be better to focus on whatever it is that forms a person's disposition.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Divine Nature | TNB