Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

The False Pursuit of Happiness – Part 3

There are all sorts of ways that people seek happiness through the pursuit of something outside of themselves. People have been conditioned mentally to seek happiness through false avenues of hope – to the point of actually denying themselves what they actually need.

Biblical Analogies

It is like the woman with the issue of blood saying to herself, “If I can just touch the hem of His garment, I will meet a dashingly handsome man who will make everything wonderful in my life.”

It could also be like the blind man who cried out amongst the crowd, “Son of David, have mercy on me.” Then Jesus comes to him and he says, “Lord, can you give me a thousand denarii?” Could you imagine the look on Jesus face had that happened?

These people in the Bible did not even have to ask Jesus for what they needed. Both Jesus and the person in need of healing knew what they wanted the most. They did not even have to ask Him for what they needed – He just knew. It is strange the way that the anxious mind can rearrange the order of priority when it comes to your basic needs.

The Man at the Pool of Bethesda

Let us consider in a little more depth the paralytic who was healed at the pool of Bethesda.

1 After this there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 2 Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches. 3 In these lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water. 4 For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had. 5 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, "Do you want to be made well?" 7 The sick man answered Him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me." 8 Jesus said to him, "Rise, take up your bed and walk." 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked. And that day was the Sabbath.

John 5:1-9 NKJV

Could you just imagine the dialogue that could have ensued had the paralytic allowed his anxious mind to mix-up his priorities? Perhaps it would have gone like this…

Jesus: "Do you want to be made well?"

Paralytic: “Lord, what I’m actually after is a donkey.”

Jesus: "Why do you want a donkey?”

Paralytic: “Well you see Lord, I’m paralysed and it would be so much better if I had a donkey. My friends could just lift me on and I could get about much better.”

Jesus: “But I can heal you of your condition. Then you would be able to go anywhere you wanted – without a donkey.”

Paralytic: ”Oh, I see, does that mean that you can’t give me a donkey or you don’t want to give me a donkey – is that it?”

Jesus: “I didn’t say I wouldn’t give you a donkey.”

Paralytic: “Oh, so you will give me a donkey then?”

Jesus: “I didn’t say that either. I asked you before if you wanted to be made well.”

Paralytic: “Yes I want to be made well. But I’ve been paralysed for so long and to be honest – I don’t really believe in all that divine healing stuff. Sure, I’ve heard it happening in other people’s lives – but I don’t believe it will work for me. I could believe that I receive a donkey much easier than believing that I can be healed. Then I would have something good and worthwhile in my life.”

Jesus: “All you have to do is to believe that I can make you well.”

Paralytic: “But if you gave me a donkey, I would be in a much better position to be able to believe that I can be well. Then, while I’m developing faith for my healing, I could be getting around on my donkey.”

Jesus: “Will you shut up about that donkey!”

Paralytic: “I knew that you didn’t want to give me a donkey.”

Jesus: “You need to get your priorities straightened out. What I tell my disciples is that they should seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things would be added to them.”

Paralytic: “All these things…does that include donkeys?”

Jesus: “Yes, if you really need a donkey then that means that you can have a donkey. But for goodness sake – seek the most important things first!”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Divine Nature | TNB