Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Learn the Unforced Rhythms of Grace

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. 29 Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. 30 Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Matthew 11:28-30 MSG

If you say to someone in church, "I want to live freely and lightly; I want to learn the unforced rhythms of grace." I think many believers would look at you strangely. Yet this is what The Message Bible has to say about the grace of God that Jesus so graciously purchased for us with His own precious blood.

The soul still struggles with the concept of receiving grace so freely. The soul becomes convinced that there must be a price to pay for something so precious. Yet Jesus Christ Himself tells us in the Bible that the water of life is a free gift, to whoever desires and whoever thirsts: Revelation 22:17.

17 The Spirit and the bride say, 'Come.' Let each one who hears them say the same, 'Come.' Let the thirsty one come--anyone who wants to; let him come and drink the Water of Life without charge.

Revelation 22:17 TLB

I think that this struggle to accept the gift of the water of life, is because we have been brought up in a culture that asserts that there is no such thing as something for nothing in this life. We are so used to working hard so that we can receive the basic necessities of life.

It is alright to work hard as the grace of God drives you, empowers you and compels you. But there are no rewards in life for people to try to get things done through an effort of their own. Jesus Christ offers us the free gift of the grace of God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Divine Nature | TNB