Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

My Own Attempt to “Use” Daniel 1:17

I read in a Kenneth E. Hagin book that Hagin would confess Daniel 1:17 each morning on the way to school. As a result of this, God gave him a photographic memory and made him more intelligent than all the other pupils in his class, so that he got straight-As for all his tests.

I decided that I would confess Daniel 1:17 so that I could be brilliant at my job. But the divine ability never came. I believe the reason for this was that I was feeling insecure, as if I could not trust in God. I saw Daniel 1:17 as a “divine lottery ticket” which just might work to give me the sense of security that I was looking for. I wanted to prove that I was better than everyone else, so that I could feel good about myself and look down on “all those ungodly heathens”, which didn’t deserve the blessing and favour of God like I did.

I am still working on this area of my life and I believe it has a lot to do with being able to trust God, whether you are rich or poor, talented or untalented, educated or uneducated; knowing that God will meet your needs, regardless of whether you “deserve” it or not. Like many other people, the cannot of effort-and-reward has become hard-wired into my belief system. The concept of God blessing me and meeting my needs without having to work for it, without having to merit that blessing – is still something I struggle with to this day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Divine Nature | TNB