Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Intimidation in My Own Life

In my own life, I feel intimidated a lot of the time. What annoys me a lot of the time are people who seem to "have it all together", people who are non-believers but appear to have the hallmarks of the abundant life that the Bible seems to only promise believers. I really wouldn't mind, I'm sure, if I was blessed - but I'm not (at least I don’t feel as if I am).

What makes me feel even more intimidated is when these people take it upon themselves to say, "Paul, this religious stuff is really not helping you...” They are of course referring to my Christian beliefs. But I think that they have a point: the religious, legalistic aspects of my belief system, ingrained in me over the years, really has not helped me one bit! I suppose this corresponds with the Psalms when the Psalmist is venting frustration to God about the ungodly being blessed.

In his book, Breaking Intimidation, John Bevere does touch upon what he believes to be the root cause of intimidation: loving your life (selfishness) (see Rev. 12:11 and John 12:25).

I believe that my intimidation is more than likely to be caused by my trying to prove myself by my works. I have been trying to compete with the world so that I can prove that I'm better than them; so that I can fulfil the religious demands put upon me by the legalistic church; so I can put demands on other people that they can't attain; so that I can justify to myself and others; so I can deserve blessings and favour from God and tell other people why I deserve to live an abundant life and they don't. I suppose I've been no better than other, intimidating people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Divine Nature | TNB