Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Restoring the Sinful Believer – Part 1

I recall reading a book called Breaking Intimidation by John Bevere. He provided anecdotes of how he witnessed intimidation in some churches, towards himself and/or others, and that it was only overcome when the Pastor confronted the intimidator.

In one such anecdote, Bevere recounted that he felt intimidated by the worship team in a church. It transpired that there was sin in the lives of some of these people (adultery being one of them). Only when these people were confronted, did the intimidation stop. Some of these people were restored to the church, some left.

I like the book Breaking Intimidation, it provided me with a lot of insight into the subject, but I could not help but feel that it emphasised confrontation as something that the believer should or must do. For me, that gets us back into the law, rather than grace, because it is all about coaxing someone to do something in their own effort. Remember, His yoke is easy and His burden is light (Matt. 11:30). To be spiritually minded is life and peace (Rom. 8:6). The Holy Spirit should lead us who believe, in a way that is clear, yet peaceful and gentle.

The analogy that the Bible uses in regards to being led by the Spirit is that of a Father leading His child (Rom. 8:14). What father would lead his child by dragging him along, kicking and screaming? Either a father who has no ability to love and care for that child or a father who is aggressive and violent. Perhaps if the father is normally gentle and kind but the child is unruly – then the father has to be aggressive with the child. This reminds me of the analogy of the horse or mule in Psalm 32:9. But surely, the focus should be on learning how we can surrender our souls to God so that He can lead us as a child, without having to resort to all the rough stuff?

Another thing that I disliked about the book, something which is often a common theme amongst Christian books, is that the anecdotes were all from the perspective of someone who is in full-time ministry. I suppose it is often a difficult thing to avoid, but I think it would serve the Body of Christ a lot more if Christian books were written from the perspective of everyday life situations.

This theme of confrontation seems like a common-sense principle and it seems that this could be done out of love. But is it really our business to do so? Perhaps, as a pastor, it is his business to safeguard the flock from the wolves?

How does this figure in the message of grace I wonder? Seems rather Draconian to me. All I know is that when I don't accept other people, just as they are (including me) – it hurts on the inside.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Divine Nature | TNB