Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Platitudes

“Just do This…Just do That…”

Platitudes in the church are those expressions that typically begin with the word “just” e.g. “Just forgive people” or “just don’t sin” or “just step out and God will anoint you” or the metaphorical “just use what is in your hand” or the ever-so popular, “just keep on going” or “just keep on serving God”.

What Purpose do Platitudes Serve?

What purpose do these platitudes serve us at all? Firstly, they encourage legalism because they give believers the impression that they have conscious control over our behaviour. This perpetuates the myth that we are in perfect conscious control of our lives; and that if a believer does not live right – it is because they choose to do so – this is certainly not my experience! Therefore, challenges and platitudes become the weapon of choice for the angry evangelist who is determined to persuade the Body of Christ to forsake all their sins and live holy lives.

“Just Don’t Sin…”

If we could “just don’t sin” – we would not need a Saviour would we? Alright, we do have a Saviour, but telling people to “just don’t sin” does not make the power of God’s grace become active in their lives. We need to be told about the forgiveness of sin that is only found in Christ, rather than being told that we are to stop sinning by trying to avoid it in our own effort.

“Just Keep on Going…”

The “just keep on going” message is another ridiculous platitude. Where does my power to endure come from? Surely my power to endure comes from God? 1 Corinthians 13:7 says that love “endures all things”. I don’t have the power to endure all things in-and-of myself – that power comes from God. Therefore, why am I told that I should “keep on going” when that power to endure comes from God? Is the power of hupomone (God’s endurance) pulpit-activated? What can I do to activate that aspect of God’s love to endure trials?

Conclusion

I would say that any message from the pulpit that tells me to “just do” anything that 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 says love is, or indeed, anything that the Bible says I already am in Christ, is verging on the side of religious legalism, in my opinion. The only thing I need to “just do” – is to look to Jesus and rest in His love – Hallelujah!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Divine Nature | TNB