Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Questioning Motives – Part 2

Sometimes I have found that I have prayed loosing and binding prayers in an almost haphazard fashion, just in the hope that something good will happen. Most of the time this approach does not work, but there are times when I gain immediate relief and I ask myself and God what it was that I said that gave me such an effective result.

I remember one such incident in which I was feeling rather anxious about a variety of things. Then I just said something and I felt peace flow through me. I wondered what it was that I said so that I a learn more about it and use it in the future. All I had said was, “I don’t care anymore.” This is scriptural because it tallies with 2 Peter 5:7.

I find it is useful to really think about what you are loosing and binding, making yourself aware of the ramifications of such prayers. Otherwise, these prayers will simply be ineffective formulas to you. I have read many Christian books which have advocated a certain way of praying or the confession of certain scriptures – all backed-up with remarkable testimonies. This can cause the anxious soul to think, “Hey, it worked for him – it might work for me too!” What I have also tried to do in the past is to try to take the core essence of another person’s testimony and try to create a formula from it, according to my inadequate understanding of the Word, and try to use it to meet my perceived needs. Such formula-driven principles will never work.

Some believers like to just expose themselves to preaching that seems to encourage their own selfish wants, which is why the prosperity movement has been so popular. I think the worst thing about the prosperity movement is that it has reduced material provision down to a formula: give a large offering to the church and God will be obligated to bless you financially. Little do Christians realise that if they just got themselves into right agreement with God, then all their material needs would be provided for them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Divine Nature | TNB